Clifton Garden Club
The purpose of the Clifton Garden Club is to promote the knowledge and appreciation of horticulture, to carry out horticultural projects that benefit our community, and to build fellowship by sharing our horticultural talents and resources. The diverse personalities and backgrounds of our wonderful members make the CGC such a vibrant and successful organization. Whether you’re a seasoned gardener, a newbie gardener that just can’t figure out how to keep plants alive, or simply curious about gardening, come join us!
- When: 7:00 p.m., 2nd Tuesday of each month (excluding January and February)
- Where: Senior Center - Clifton Municipal Complex, 900 Clifton Avenue Clifton, NJ 07013
- Each meeting we host a guest speaker that educates us on their expert gardening forte (see below for our recent speakers and topics) followed by refreshments, plant exchanges, raffles, and conversation. August’s meeting is our annual member potluck picnic and December is our seed packet assembly meeting.
Guests are always welcome
2020 Presentation Schedule
Deb Ellis - Master Gardener/founder and co-leader of the Essex County chapter of the Native Plant Society of New Jersey/native plant enthusiast
“Bloodroot, Bluebells, and Butterflys: Spring Beauties for Biodiversity”
When we garden, we can support biodiversity through the plants we chose. In this workshop, you will learn how to grow the beautiful and unusual flowers of the spring native garden and how they sustain native bees and butterflies.
Dr. Edith Wallace - Master Gardener/PhD in Zoology from Rutgers University/former chair of the Biology Department at WPU
CANCELED due to COVID-19
Dennis Hillerud –Master Gardener/Landscape Designer/owner of DNH Gardens
“Garden Lessons Learned the Hard Way”
CANCELED due to COVID-19
Mary Jo Sichak, Master Gardener/Naturalist/Photographer
Taking a closer look at life in a garden, you realize that insects have us outnumbered. This program is a glimpse at what’s bugging us and highlights the benefits that insects provide to the ecosystem.
Don Torino, President of the Bergen County Audubon Society
“Plants for Birds”
How you can help our feathered friends with plants that feed and shelter them.
Caren White, Master Gardener” The Herb Lady”/gardening instructor and volunteer
“Putting Herbs to Work in Your Garden”
How herbs attract beneficial insects, repel pests, improve soil, and make wonderful companion plants in your garden.
Cecelia Diaz, Rutgers Cooperative Extension Agriculture Associate for Passaic County
Club members will participate in an activity demonstrated by the speaker.
Dr. Lesley Parness, retired Superintendent of Horticultural Education for the Morris County Park Commission
“Drama Queens: Dark Beauties for Your Gardens”
Understand how to use black hued plants for maximum impact.
Most importantly, the CGC is an active face in the Clifton community. Some of our activities include:
- Maintaining public garden sites around the City of Clifton
- Holding an annual Spring Plant Sale
- Funding and awarding an annual scholarship to a Clifton High School senior pursuing a gardening related curriculum in college
- Organizing field trips
- Creating/donating flower arrangements and other plants for seniors, hospital patients, and disadvantaged groups
- Sue Van Riper, President
- Wally Koenig, Vice President
- Donna Fantacone, Secretary
- Denise Silvestri, Treasurer
- Alexandra Lazor, Hospitality Chair
- Tom Dzubina, Assistant Hospitality Chair
- Elliot Solomon, Newsletter Chair
- Joan Sanford, Social Events Chair