The listed permits are available from the Engineering Department. For additional information regarding permit requirements and fees, you may call the Engineering Department at 973-470-5793.
A permit is required to construct, reconstruct or repair sidewalks that are within the public right-of-way.
- Permit fee: $25
- No permits issued from December 1 through April 1 because of weather conditions, unless approved by the City Engineer
- Work done on Passaic County Roads may also require a permit from the Passaic County Road Department, call them at 973-881-4500
Download the Sidewalk Permit Application (PDF).
A permit is required to construct, reconstruct or repair curb along the street.
- Permit fee: $25
- No permits issued from December 1 through April 1 because of weather conditions
- Work done on Passaic County Roads may also require a permit from the Passaic County Road Department, 973-881-4500
Download the Curb Permit Application (PDF).
Sanitary Sewer Connection
A permit is required to make a new connection to the public sanitary sewer.
- For residential connections discharging more than 500 gallons per day, and for commercial and industrial connections (regardless of flow) the applicant must also obtain a permit from the Passaic Valley Sewerage Commission at 973-817-5710.
- For construction within any street right-of-way, the applicant must also obtain a Roadway Excavation permit.
Download the Sanitary Sewer Connection Permit and Application (PDF).
Driveway Construction & Widening
There are strict regulations regarding the width and location of driveways and driveway curb openings. It is necessary to obtain a permit when doing any of the following:
- Construction a new driveway
- Widening an existing driveway
- Breaking the curb to construct a new or to widen the curb opening of an existing driveway
Ordinance 8320-02 "Tree Removal and Protection" requires that developers constructing major subdivision or site plans obtain a permit. A tree removal and mitigation plan is required. There is a permit fee that varies depending on the number of trees to be removed. Contact the Engineering Department for further information.
A permit is required to make an excavation within the public right-of-way of a street maintained by the City of Clifton. This applies to both the roadway and sidewalk areas. Excavations made on Passaic County roads require a permit from the Passaic County Road Department, contact them at 973-881-4500.
- Completed application form
- Surety bond (non-cancelable) for a period of two years in the amount of $2,000 unless otherwise stipulated by the City Engineer
- Certificate of insurance
- Confirmation number for New Jersey One Call at 800-272-1000
- Application fee: $75
- Permit fee $150 to $500 depending upon when the street was last repaved